Berry picking is a great way to spend the day. It’s one of the best things to do in Virginia this spring. It’s fun, healthy, and will make you feel like a kid again! There are many berry farms near Fredericksburg that offer pick-your-own berries including strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
Here are our favorites.
Table of contents
Berry picking near Fredericksburg
Most of these farms offer strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry picking.
As a general rule, you’ll find them ripening in central Virginia at the following times:
- Strawberries: late April through May and early June
- Blueberries: late May through June
- Raspberries: June, with smaller crops up until frost
- Blackberries: June, with smaller crops until frost.
1. Braehead Farms
Braehead Farms is a great place to go berry picking in Virginia. It offers the most stunning pick-your-own strawberries as well as many other types of produce throughout the year.
If you have little ones, this is one of the best kid’s activities in Fredericksburg. Behind the farm store is a huge play area with slides, sandboxes, and more.
- Braehead has PYO strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries (no blueberries)
- There is no fee to enter the patch; simply pay for what you pick
- They are open daily.
2. Mount Olympus Berry Farm
Mount Olympus Berry Farm is a pick-your-own blueberry farm located in Ruther Glen. It’s about halfway between Fredericksburg and Richmond and easy to get to. The farm is open from June through October with berries in season through July.
Admission is free and they have a picnic area and restrooms.
- You can pick strawberries in May and blueberries in July
- Call them for current berry conditions at 804-448-0395
- They have some of the best prices in the area
3. Millers Farms
Located about 25 minutes from downtown, Millers Farm is one of our favorites in the area. They have a huge farm store with everything from soap to ice cream. The strawberry patch is huge (3 acres!) with free admission and parking.
They have rows of blueberries and blackberries too, both of which are very well priced.
- There are no pre-picked berries for sale
- There’s a fun playground in the back
- The patch is near a busy road, so keep an eye on little ones.
4. Pleasant Field Farm
An hour south of Fredericksburg in Hanover Virginia, Plesant Farms sells veggies and berries.
This one of the few farms that has all four berries: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
This isn’t a big operation with a cafe and playground, but is a real working farm.
PYO strawberries start in late April/early May and run through June. Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are available in July.
Tips for your trip
- Availability, hours, and crop conditions can change rapidly.
- Dress for dirty and possibly muddy fun. Waterproof boots are a good idea, especially after rainy days.
- Check-in when you arrive to get picking buckets or to have your own container weighed. Some farms allow visitors to bring their own containers and some do not.
- Pay before you eat. It’s tempting to sample the fruit in the field, but farms depend on their earnings from the fruit they grow
- Bring a cooler to keep your berries fresh, especially if you are going to make other stops after your u-pick visit
More Fredericksburg area fun
- Our favorite Fredericksburg pumpkin patches
- Downtown Fredericksburg bars
- The best restuarants in downtown Fredericksburg
Berry picking is a great way to spend the day. It’s fun, healthy, and will make you feel like a kid again! There are many berry farms near Fredericksburg that offer pick-your-own berries including strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.